Second quarter 2026 in review
The second quarter of 2026 has come to an end, and what a massive three months it has been!
Workload has been intense to (at times) borderline hellish, with three very large projects in play. I travelled twice for work, once internationally (to Auckland for a week in June). I also squeezed in a weekend away to the Mornington Peninsula with the whole extended family.
The three months was also chocked full of social and life commitments, including the festival that was my middle daughter's 21st birthday celebrations. I went to the theatre, the movies, parties, dinners. I hosted friends and family and was hosted by them. There wasn't a lot of slack in the days, the weeks or the months.
We've adjusted to our new normal as a household of three, and have settled into maintaining our relationships with my two elder daughters who now live independently. It's had moments of being bittersweet, but overall, I am very grateful that we have been able to remain close and loving in our bonds, physical distance notwithstanding.
Health-wise, it was a more challenging quarter, although no one had any severe infectious illnesses. However, my mother experienced serious spinal issues that had her hospitalised for a week and are still not resolved, while I underwent revision surgery for allergic polyp issues in / around my sinuses (which happened on Monday just gone - I am technically still in recovery!) Everything seems to be on the up now, but there are still more investigations and treatments in store for both mum and I, although (I hope and believe) no further surgeries. Given that I had my big sinus surgery in 2023 and had my gallbladder removal / hernia repair last year, my goal for the next three years is a surgery tally of ZERO if at all achievable.
It was also setting fair to be a low-reading quarter, with May and June basically logging a pitiful number of new books each, but I somewhat made up for it in July, as I put myself in a week of pre-surgery lockdown to avoid getting sick and then have been on sick leave this week recovering. I have got through 22 new books in the quarter in the end, half of which happened in July, mostly in the past two weeks :-P I've read some thinkers and some stinkers, some trivia and some gems, but if I had to pick a top favourite three from the quarter, it would be The Things We Never Say (Elizabeth Strout), London Falling (Patrick Radden Keefe) and Year of Wonders (Geraldine Brooks).
Creatively, I wrote a few poems, some of which I posted but most of which I didn't, and am also working slowly in the background on an idea for a longer poem cycle. I am not feeling creatively barren, despite not having bags of time, so that has been a real positive.
Highlights of the quarter were many, but here are just a few:
- Theatre performances of The Glass Menagerie (with my husband) and Retrograde (with husband and friends) - both outstanding shows
- Seeing H is for Hawk at the Sun cinema with my husband, accompanied by an online Q&A with the author (loved the book and loved the movie equally)
- Family weekend away at my brother's friend's incredible Shoreham estate in mid-May
- Fancy afternoon tea for my mum's birthday
- My middle girl's 21st birthday dinner at Mamasita
- Trip to Auckland for a week in early June with my middle daughter (I worked four of the days, but we also had time and opportunity to do a fair bit of touristing)
- As part of Auckland trip, a wonderful time at Weta Workshops, including a scar-making prosthetics class
- My birthday family D&D one-shot (so much fun!!)
- Book club most months
- Birthday lunch with a friend at the wonderful Bathtub Gin in Williamstown
- Birthday fish & chippies with my extended family
- The absolutely wonderful orchestral score performance / screening of The Princess Bride (my birthday present from my husband :-)
- Going ice skating for my little niece's first-ever time on the ice
![]() |
| Auckland Tower from our hotel room |
![]() |
| Heading to Devonport from Auckland |
![]() |
| Fun at Shoreham |
![]() |
| The beautiful forest at Ashcombe Maze |
![]() |
| Autumn! |
![]() |
| The set for Retrograde play |
![]() |
| As you wish :-) |
![]() |
| Gin tasting at Bathtub Gin |








Comments
Post a Comment